Slow grilled whole Chickens are pulled and then covered with a top-shelf Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky Sauce. Watch the boys in this episode show you step-by-step how easy it is to cook up a batch Maker’s Mark Bourbon Sauce. This is a rich sweet tomato based sauce that would go well over a plate of pasta.
The ingredients you'll need:
- Chicken – 3 whole fryers, 4-5 lbs. each
- Olive Oil – 5-6 Tablespoons
- SPG – to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes – to taste
- Buns – favorite style
- Aluminum Foil
For Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey Sauce:
- Maker’s Mark Bourbon – 1 cup
- Bacon – 2-4 strips cooked
- Ketchup – 2 cups
- Tomato Paste – ½ cup
- Worcestershire Sauce – ¼ cup
- Small Onion – ½ cup chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 6-8 chopped
- Brown Sugar – ½ cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ½ cup
- Black Pepper – 2 teaspoons
- Kosher Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Hot Sauce – to taste
- Bring smoker temperature up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and dry chickens.
- Coat with a small amount of oil. Be sure to get under the skin.
- Apply liberal coating of SPG and red pepper flakes.
- Place in smoker until an internal temperature of 180 degrees Fahrenheit is reached.
Bourbon Whiskey Dipping Sauce:
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Sauté chopped onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in one cup of Maker’s Mark bourbon whiskey.
- Mix in ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, kosher salt, chopped bacon, and hot sauce.
- Mix thoroughly and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Remove from heat.
- Remove chickens from smoker and place on a cutting board to cool down.
- Cover in aluminum foil for 45 minutes.
- Warm dipping sauce for serving.
- Remove foil and shred chicken from bones and cartilage.
- Shred to desired consistency.
- Coat with Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey Sauce.
- Put on buns to make sandwiches.
Serve with cole slaw, potato salad, bbq beans, and lots of Maker’s Mark bourbon whiskey sauce.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!