Long live the Irish..! This classic Irish-American meat and cabbage dish gets cranked up by cooking it on the ol' barbecue grill. And it's easy to do, as shown by the BBQ Pit Boys.
The ingredients you'll need:
Corned Beef Brisket – 4 ½ -5 lbs. pre-packaged with seasoning pack
Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Vinegar – 2 Tablespoons
Water – 1 gallon
Cabbage – 1 whole head, quartered
Onions – 2 whole, peeled
Potatoes – 6-8 whole, peeled
Celery – 2 stalks, chopped
Carrots – 2 stems, chopped
BBQ Sauce – Favorite style
Butter – 1 stick
Salt – to taste
1. Bring grill temperature up to 300-350 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals to the side for indirect cooking.
2. Peel potatoes, chop celery and carrots, quarter cabbage, and peel onions.
3. Place a large stock pot directly over the coals filled with the water.
4. Add the brisket to the water.
5. Add in black pepper and vinegar.
6. Cut open seasoning pack and add to pot. Mix well.
7. Cover pot and boil in water for 30-45 minutes.
8. Remove brisket from water and place opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
9. Leave stock pot over hot coals.
10. Add cabbage, potatoes, celery, carrots, and onions to a stock pot.
11. Bring vegetables up to a simmer, remove and set aside in pot.
12. Reduce grill temperature to 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Mop brisket with your favorite bbq sauce.
14. Cover grill and cook for another 30 minutes.
15. After 30 minutes, baste with more bbq sauce and remove from grill.
16. Wrap brisket in two sheets of aluminum foil and let rest for 45 minutes on the grill, opposite hot coals with grill lid off.
17. Place stock pot back on the grill directly over hot coals. Heat the pot until the potatoes are fork tender.
18. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and remove from aluminum foil.
19. Thinly slice against the grain.
20. Place cabbage and potatoes on a plate with brisket.
21. Top with your favorite toppings.
22. Serve with bbq sauce, butter, salt, corn on the cob, and garlic bread.
23. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!