Turkey for Thanksgiving or for any holiday feast is good eating, especially when cooked on the grill, or roasted low and slow on the smoker. Make your holiday meal extra special with these BBQ Pit Boys tender and juicy Turkey Breasts, injected with traditional and beer seasoned marinades. If these recipes bring tears to your momma's eyes, you'll know why!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
Turkey Breast Bone-In – 2 - 8 lbs. each
Aluminum Basting Pans - 2
FOR GRILLED TURKEY INJECTION AND MOPPING SAUCE:
Butter – 4 Tablespoons
Olive Oil – ½ cup
Soy Sauce – 3 Tablespoons
Poultry Seasoning – 1-1 ½ teaspoon
SPG – to taste (Salt, Pepper and Garlic)
FOR SMOKED TURKEY INJECTION AND MOPPING SAUCE:
Olive Oil – ½ cup
Beer – ½ cup
Hot Sauce – 1 Tablespoon
Wild Turkey Whiskey – 1 ½ - 2 oz. (One shot or use your favorite whiskey)
PREPARE GRILLED TURKEY AND SAUCE:
1. Bring grill temperature up to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Move charcoal to the side for indirect cooking.
2. Place a sauce pan directly over the coals and add butter, olive oil, soy sauce, and poultry seasoning. Allow butter to melt, stir occasionally.
3. Place turkey in a basting pan.
4. Take meat injector and load with marinade. Inject breast in 8-10 different areas.
5. Brush marinade on turkey breast.
6. Season with SPG liberally.
7. Pour remainder of marinade over turkey.
8. Place turkey and basting pan on grill opposite charcoal for indirect cooking.
9. Place lid on the grill. Cook time will be around 1 ½ hours or internal temperature of 160-165 degree Fahrenheit.
PREPARE SMOKED TURKEY AND SAUCE:
10. Bring smoker up to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Place turkey breast in a basting pan.
12. In a bowl mix; olive oil, beer, hot sauce (optional), and Wild Turkey. Mix thoroughly.
13. Load injector with marinade and inject breast in 8-10 different places.
14. Coat liberally with SPG.
15. Place turkey and basting pan on smoker rack. Pour remaining beer in bottom of basting pan.
16. Allow 3-4 hours cook time or until an internal temperature of 160-165 degree Fahrenheit is reached.
17. Rotate grilled turkey pan 180 degrees after 45 minutes for even cooking.
18. Baste the grilled turkey every 45 minutes or so with the juices from the bottom of the pan.
19. Baste the smoked turkey every 45 minutes or so with left-over marinade.
FOR GRILLED TURKEY:
20. Grilled turkey is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit.
21. When grilled turkey is done, remove from pan and place on a cutting board.
22. Heat up some turkey gravy or make your own from the drippings while turkey rests.
23. Carve turkey for serving.
FOR SMOKED TURKEY:
24. Continue to baste the turkey every 45 minutes.
25. Smoked turkey is done when internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit (3-4 hours).
26. Remove from smoker and allow it to rest on a cutting board.
27. Carve turkey for serving
28. Serve with stuffing, cranberries, vegetables, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and rolls.
29. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!